NASCAR’s common season finale moved to Sunday as a result of rain

By Bob Pockrass
FOX Sports activities NASCAR Author

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — NASCAR will set its playoff subject Sunday after rains pressured the postponement of the common season finale Saturday evening at Daytona Worldwide Speedway.

With the specter of rain Sunday, NASCAR opted for a ten a.m. ET begin (CNBC) for the 160-lap race on the two.5-mile monitor. FOX Climate forecasts a 50 % likelihood of rain within the morning, a 70 % likelihood of rain within the afternoon and a 30 % likelihood of rain within the night.

The choice to start out mid-morning — a rarity for a postponed race — reveals that NASCAR is set to get its playoff subject set because it prepares for every week of selling its postseason main into the Southern 500 in every week, Sept. 4 at Darlington Raceway. If NASCAR can’t get the race in Sunday, it will strive once more Monday.

The race will set the 16-driver playoff subject. Fourteen drivers have spots primarily based on wins earlier this yr.

Ryan Blaney and Martin Truex Jr., each winless this yr, at the moment maintain the ultimate two spots primarily based on factors. If one of many 14 drivers who already has gained this yr, or if Blaney or Truex wins, each Blaney and Truex make the playoffs.

If a driver who’s top-30 in factors however hasn’t gained this yr wins the finale, then both Blaney or Truex will get the ultimate spot primarily based on their factors standing. Blaney enters the race 25 factors forward of Truex.

Groups is not going to be allowed to regulate their vehicles previous to the beginning of the race to accommodate for doubtless totally different situations that come from racing within the daytime as a substitute of evening.

Kyle Larson on the delay at Daytona

Kyle Larson on the delay at Daytona

Kyle Larson shares his ideas on how a daytime race Sunday at Daytona could possibly be totally different than the scheduled Saturday evening occasion. The Cup race was postponed as a result of rain and is about to be run at 10 a.m. ET Sunday.

“Handling will be more of a factor for sure during the day than at night,” mentioned Kyle Larson, who will lead the sphere from the pole.

“Just the whole track is slicker. But I feel like Turn 4 gets really tight. I don’t remember us being on-track [at Daytona] much earlier this year with the sun out.”

Bob Pockrass has spent many years protecting motorsports, together with the previous 30 Daytona 500s. He joined FOX Sports activities in 2019 following stints at ESPN, Sporting Information, NASCAR Scene journal and The (Daytona Seashore) Information-Journal. Observe him on Twitter and Instagram @bobpockrass. On the lookout for extra NASCAR content material? Join the FOX Sports activities NASCAR Publication with Bob Pockrass!


Get extra from NASCAR Cup Sequence Observe your favorites to get details about video games, information and extra.