PHOENIX — Rodolfo Castro acquired the call-up and dropped a name in his return to the massive leagues.
The Pittsburgh infielder misplaced his cellphone throughout a slide into third base and the Pirates misplaced to the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-4 on Tuesday evening.
“I don’t think there’s any professional ballplayer that would ever go out there with any intentions of taking a cellphone,” Castro told Pittsburgh media members through an interpreter. “It is horrible it occurred to me. Clearly, it was very unintentional.”
Rookie Tommy Henry (1-1) was sharp in his Chase Discipline debut, permitting a run on 4 hits in seven innings for his first huge league win.
Castro made a unique form of noise after being referred to as up from Triple-A Indianapolis — along with his cellphone.
The second-year second baseman walked within the fourth inning and went to 3rd on Oneil Cruz’s single. Castro slid headfirst into the bag to beat the throw and the influence despatched his cellphone flying from his again pocket.
Third-base umpire Adam Hamari instantly noticed the cellphone and pointed to it on the bottom. The 23-year-old Castro picked up the cellphone and handed it to Pirates third-base coach Mike Rebelo, who had an exasperated look on his face earlier than taking it.
Castro stated he put his oven mitt-like sliding glove in his pocket and forgot concerning the cellphone.
“You stay around the game and you see things you haven’t seen before,” Pirates manager Derek Shelton said. “This was only a child who made a mistake. It is simply a kind of issues we transfer ahead from and inform him, ‘You may’t try this.”’
Main League Baseball has cracked down on expertise getting used on the sector because the Houston Astros used reside TV feeds to steal opposing groups’ indicators throughout their run to the 2017 World Sequence championship and a part of the 2018 season.
Astros normal supervisor Jeff Luhnow and supervisor A.J. Hinch had been suspended for the 2020 season. The Astros additionally had been fined $5 million and forfeited their first- and second-round picks in 2020 and 2021.
Castro would possibly need to preserve his cellphone shut by on Wednesday in case MLB decides it desires to impose some penalty.
“My first day back, if I was to be the center of attention, I would want it to be helping the team win, but never in this form,” Castro said. “That is positively one thing that was an accident, a mistake, one thing I’ll be taught from. However positively one thing I did not imply to occur.”
The Related Press contributed to this report.