Your L.A. Public Library card comes with plenty of free stuff. Positive, books and ebooks. But additionally free digital subscriptions and entry to newspapers and magazines, together with the New York Instances, the Washington Submit, the Wall Avenue Journal, the New Yorker, the Economist, New York Journal and lots of extra.
Some caveats: You want a library card in good standing. Playing cards can be found to residents of the town of Los Angeles. You now not want to go to a bodily department to get one: You possibly can apply for an L.A. Public Library card on-line. Most newspaper web site subscriptions are by digital “passes” that expire after a sure variety of hours or days.
How to get free entry to the New York Instances along with your L.A. Public Library card
The L.A. Public Library presents 72-hour digital passes to the New York Instances. These passes embody the primary web site in addition to Cooking, Video games (hi there, Wordle followers) and Wirecutter. You have to create a free New York Instances account to log in. There are a restricted variety of passes accessible per day, so if an enormous story breaks or it’s a day like election day, you’ll wish to go surfing early to get one. Additionally, should you recurrently get your information by social media apps in your cellphone like Fb or Reddit, these might open hyperlinks in a special browser than the one you’re logged in on, so that you’ll hit a paywall and should log in once more there.
When you’re able to get your cross:
- Go to the precise L.A. Public Library web site for logging into the New York Instances and enter your LAPL card quantity and PIN quantity. (When you’re a daily reader, bookmark that hyperlink so you will get again to it rapidly.)
- When you’re logged in to your library account, it’ll redirect you to a web page the place you may check in to your New York Instances account. This web page will immediate you to create an account should you don’t have one already.
- Click on “get started.” When you’re already logged into your New York Instances account by your browser, chances are you’ll be skipped on to this web page.
How to entry the Washington Submit without spending a dime along with your L.A. Public Library card
The library has had free entry to the Washington Submit at computer systems in bodily branches for years, however as of April 2022, you will get a seven-day on-line cross without spending a dime from wherever along with your LAPL card. Much like the New York Instances, you’ll have to create a free on-line account with the Washington Submit to log in.
- Go to this hyperlink for getting a free seven-day cross to the Washington Submit along with your library card and enter your card quantity and PIN.
- Enter your electronic mail tackle.
- If you have already got a Washington Submit account, you’ll be emailed a hyperlink to log in; if not, you’ll be prompted to arrange your account.
How to go online to the Wall Avenue Journal along with your LAPL card
Beginning in November 2022, the L.A. public library presents free three-day passes to the Wall Avenue Journal. Much like different newspapers, you’ll have to have or create a web-based account as a way to redeem a cross.
- Go to this hyperlink from the L.A. Public Library to entry free Wall Avenue Journal passes and enter your LAPL card quantity and PIN.
- You’ll be directed to a sign-in web page the place you may both log in to an present account or create a brand new one.
How to get free subscriptions to the Economist, the New Yorker and different magazines along with your library card
Your L.A. library card comes with a plethora of free digital journal subscriptions, together with information magazines just like the Economist, the New Yorker, Newsweek and New York Journal; model magazines like Vogue and Self-importance Truthful; particular curiosity magazines like Actual Easy, Common Science and Bon Appetit; tabloids like Us Weekly, Hey, Star and In Contact Weekly, and a few shocking ultra-niche titles together with Minecraft World, McCall’s Quilting, New Zealand Listener, and one titled — merely and descriptively — Sheds. Magazines can be found on an issue-by-issue foundation; you may’t use a digital library cross to bypass the paywall on these web sites.
Journal entry is thru the Overdrive web site in case you are on a desktop or laptop computer, or by way of the Libby app from a smartphone or pill.
Logging in from a desktop or laptop computer:
- Go to lapl.overdrive.com.
- You’ll be prompted to enroll in a library card or signal into your library account.
- Enter your card quantity and PIN and click on “Sign in.”
- Choose “Magazines” from the bar of choices on the high of the web page.
Logging in from a smartphone or pill:
- Obtain the Libby app from the App Retailer or Google Play retailer.
- Log in utilizing your LAPL card quantity and PIN.
- Click on the magnifying glass to navigate to the search part.
- Enter the title of the journal you wish to learn within the bar on the high, or click on “magazines” below “explore with filters” to browse all accessible titles.
- After you borrow a difficulty, you’ll be requested if you wish to be notified each time there’s a brand new concern. You possibly can select whether or not or to not arrange these alerts for your self.
- Navigate to the shelf icon on the backside of the app (it seems to be like a stack of three books) to see the problems you’ve borrowed.
Be taught extra about what different enjoyable freebies come along with your library card.
About The Instances Utility Journalism Crew
This text is from The Instances’ Utility Journalism Crew. Our mission is to be important to the lives of Southern Californians by publishing info that solves issues, solutions questions and helps with resolution making. We serve audiences in and round Los Angeles — together with present Instances subscribers and various communities that haven’t traditionally had their wants met by our protection.
How can we be helpful to you and your neighborhood? Electronic mail utility (at) latimes.com or one in all our journalists: Matt Ballinger, Jon Healey, Ada Tseng, Jessica Roy and Karen Garcia.