Betting websites urge warning after accounts accessed, funds withdrawn

On-line sports activities betting operators on Monday had been encouraging prospects to take steps to guard their accounts after a number of corporations noticed fraudulent exercise in current weeks.

DraftKings mentioned Monday {that a} “small number” of betting accounts had been accessed by unauthorized customers, resulting in roughly $300,000 in buyer funds being withdrawn in an assault the corporate believes was brought on by login info being stolen from third-party websites.

Sports activities betting media website The Motion Community reported that at the very least one buyer was locked out of their DraftKings account Sunday and had cash withdrawn from the checking account that was used to make deposits with the sportsbook.

“DraftKings is aware that some customers are experiencing irregular activity with their accounts. We currently believe that the login information of these customers was compromised on other websites and then used to access their DraftKings accounts where they used the same login information,” Paul Liberman, DraftKings co-founder, mentioned in a press release. “We have seen no evidence that DraftKings’ systems were breached to obtain this information. We have identified less than $300,000 of customer funds that were affected, and we intend to make whole any customer that was impacted.

“We strongly encourage prospects to make use of distinctive passwords for DraftKings and all different websites, and we strongly suggest that prospects don’t share their passwords with anybody, together with third get together websites for the needs of monitoring betting info on DraftKings and different betting apps.”

Ryan Butler, a journalist who covers the game industry, wrote on Twitter on Monday that his DraftKings account was hacked and that FanDuel emailed him that there was an attempt to gain access to his FanDuel account.

FanDuel reported increased activity from unauthorized actors attempting to gain access to accounts, but “to date prospects haven’t been impacted,” a company spokesperson said Monday afternoon. Caesars Sportsbook also said Monday that it had not been impacted.

The unauthorized access at DraftKings came just weeks after multiple professional poker players reported having unauthorized betting accounts being set up in their names with BetMGM and used to withdraw money from personal checking accounts. Todd Witteles, a well-known poker pro from California, said someone set up a sports betting account with his name in late October in West Virginia, deposited $10,000 out of his checking account to the sports betting account and withdrew $7,500 to a Venmo debit card on the same day. Witteles estimates upward of 50 poker players experienced a similar issue at BetMGM that mostly occurred in late October and early November. BetMGM said it is actively investigating the situation.

“The safety of our patrons’ accounts is of the utmost significance to us,” a BetMGM spokesperson said in a statement to ESPN on Friday. “We encourage any impacted patrons to contact our customer support division instantly.”

It’s not identified whether or not the incidents at DraftKings and BetMGM are related.